Game: #72 – Nationals vs. Royals
Starting Pitchers: Luis Atilano, (#56, 4-4, 5.03) vs. Anthony Lerew (#54, 0-1, 4.76)
Final Score: Nationals: 4, Royals: 3
Nats New Record: 33-39
Plays of the Game: Homers from Willingham and Dunn were pretty spectacular.
Player of the Game: Hammer gets it for knocking out his 100th MLB dinger.
Favorite Non-baseball Moment: Watching the grounds crew do their job pulling out the tarp, and then methodically rolling it up at the end of the rain delay.
Who was there: Maggie, her Dad, and her cousin Jorge.
Our Records: Maggie – 5-7; Maggie’s Dad – 14-3; Jorge – 1-0
Where did she sit: Maggie grabbed seats in Row B of Section 416 using a Washington Post half-price coupon. It’s a good view, but as the sun goes down over the summer, there are strong sunbeams pointing directly in that direction.
What did she eat: Grilled chicken sandwich from Boardwalk fries. It was super bland. Not bad…just not much of anything, even with a slice of cheese. Get this if you’re on a diet, if you don’t want something fried or greasy, if you’re on a diet, or if you don’t have taste buds.
Promotional Items: “Clipp & Save” “coupon” t-shirt! This was a delightful tee. Love every bit of it. I only wish that I had gotten a size M instead of the L, which I swim in. (see picture in gallery)
President’s Race: Not much to say – George led from wire to wire, and the Nat pack had to bust out the fire extinguishers.
- The anthem was sung by the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington. They were AMAZING. And that’s really all I need to say.
- Man, that was some RAIN! Sitting in the upper decks was the ‘perfect’ place to experience high winds and driving rain.
- This game was the very first American baseball game for my cousin. He’s visiting from out of the country, and thoroughly enjoyed himself. I think getting to see a couple home runs and observe a home team win made it even better.
- Poor Luis Atilano! He really got the short end of the stick having to wait more than an hour between innings to pitch. He really looked rough in his last innings – likely lost the ‘warm’ in his arm.
- I filled out 19 all-star ballots before the game. The Nationals have been severely under appreciated during the all star voting thus far, so I did my part.
(the full album from this game can be seen here)
(more videos from this and other games can be seen here)