Game: Potomac Nationals vs. Kinston Indians (doubleheader!)
Final Score: Nationals: 2, Indians: 0 ; Nationals: 5, Indians: 7
Who was there: Maggie
Where did she sit: Field Box 3, Row D, which was very close to the P-Nats dugout.
- In the past, Ashley has done photo blogs to describe these games, and now Maggie understands why! The games lend themselves more visually than to stats and box scores. It’s more of an experience than anything else.
- If you’ve never been to a minor-league game (especially at the lower levels), it’s a mix between high-school football game, family reunion, and small-town Fourth of July. Players, fans, and coaches have more of a chance to interact, and some of the players even have their livelihood supported by members of the booster clubs. It’s more community than entertainment.
- This particular evening provided that elusive baseball experience – the doubleheader. With single-A ball, this is more doable for the regular person. The game lasts for 7 innings instead of 9, which meant that the first game only lasted 2 hours. Unfortunately, the second went a little later, and because Maggie had an event on Sunday and a long drive home, she ditched after 2 hours with the P-Nats down by 3 (and going on to lose).
- Uncle Slam, the Potomac Nationals mascot spent most of the two games flirting and blowing kisses to Maggie.
- It appears that a number of the P-Nats have decided to take up mustache-growing with the end of the season in view. It was a fairly impressive showing.
- With a win in the first game, the Nationals take first place. Yay!